Skip to content
- Free edge: the part of the nail that extends past the fingertip.
- Nail plate: the visible part of the nail that covers the nail bed.
- Nail bed: the skin underneath the nail plate.
- Lunula: the white, crescent-shaped area at the base of the nail plate.
- Cuticle: the layer of skin that overlaps the nail plate at the base of the nail.
- Nail matrix: the tissue underneath the nail bed where new nail cells are formed.
- Hyponychium: the area of thickened skin under the free edge of the nail that helps to seal the nail bed and prevent infection.
- Nail fold: the skin that surrounds the sides and base of the nail plate.
- Nail groove: the indentation on either side of the nail that separates the nail plate from the nail fold.
- Nail root: the part of the nail matrix that is hidden under the skin at the base of the nail.
You may also like these posts